Our corporate, M&A and securities practice has extensive experience in PNG. We are familiar with the country, the market and the local institutions.
We have advised on a wide range of transactions in PNG including restructures, share and asset sales and joint ventures. We have also advised on transactions involving POMSOX and ASX listed companies with operations in PNG. We regularly advise the PNG Government and people looking to do business in PNG.
In addition to in-country experience, we also have in depth sector knowledge and experience in key areas of PNG economic growth, including financial institutions, energy, resources, infrastructure and telecommunications.
The below is an illustrative list of the projects and transactions that our lawyers have advised on relating to PNG. Prior to opening our office in Port Moresby, this work was undertaken with local counsel advising on PNG law aspects.
Our recent work
- Advised the Independent State of Papua New Guinea (PNG) on all aspects of the AU$1.24bn loan from UBS the proceeds of which were used by the State to buy approximately 150 million shares in Oil Search and in the Elk Antelope field being developed by Total.
- Together with local counsel, advised Kumul Minerals Holdings Limited on its acquisition of shares in Bougainville Copper Limited from Equity Trustees Limited. The shares were transferred from Rio Tinto Limited to Equity Trustees following Rio’s decision to exit its holding in Bougainville Copper and to transfer its holding to an independent trustee.
- Together with local counsel, advised Kumul Consolidated Holdings on its buyout of the minority shareholders in Bemobile Limited, PNG’s second largest mobile telecommunications provider.
- Advised Kulim (Malaysia) Berhad on its sale of its majority interest in New Britain Palm Oil, which was listed on POMSOX and one of the largest producers of sustainable palm oil in the world, to Sime Darby. The transaction valued New Britain Palm Oil at US$1.7bn
- Advised the Allied Gold Group, an Australian-based gold producing mining company, on an A$80 million pre-payment facility from Red Kite, involving the sale of gold to Red Kite from Allied Gold Group mines in the Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea. We advised on English and Australian law aspects of the transaction.