Mike Pikiel is a partner in our New York office and the Head of Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities, United States.
Mike represents sponsors, developers, investors, lenders and underwriters in a wide range of projects and complex finance transactions, including project financings and acquisition financings. He focuses his practice on the infrastructure, transportation, energy and mining industries.
Mike was selected as a David Rockefeller Fellow for the Class of 2015-2016 by the Partnership for New York City.
Mike is a member of the US Branch Council of the International Project Finance Association (IPFA).
2002 - J.D., Northeastern University School of Law
1999 - B.A., Politics, Philosophy and Economics, University of Pennsylvania
Mike's experience includes:
- Representing HICL Infrastructure Company Limited, the listed infrastructure investment company advised by InfraRed Capital Partners Limited, Northleaf Infrastructure Capital Partners LP and Northleaf Infrastructure Capital Partners II LP, and DIF Infrastructure IV Cooperatief UA in connection with the acquisition and financing of Northwest Parkway LLC, which operates the Northwest Parkway, an 8.9 mile segment of the partial beltway system extending around the Denver metropolitan area, under a 99-year concession and lease agreement with the Northwest Parkway Public Highway Authority that was originally granted in 2007, and GO-PASS Mobility Services LLC, which provides certain electronic toll collection systems and services to Northwest Parkway LLC
- Representing the underwriters, Citigroup Global Markets Inc. and Barclays Capital Inc., of senior lien revenue bonds used to fund a loan to Blueridge Transportation Group, LLC to finance a portion of the costs of an approximately $1.1 billion project to design, build, finance, operate and maintain tolled lanes and related facilities along a portion of State Highway 288 in Harris County, Texas
- Representing Plenary Group USA Concessions Ltd. and certain affiliates, including Plenary Properties Long Beach LLC, in connection with an approximately $550 million project in Long Beach, California to design, build, finance, operate and maintain a new city hall, a new public library, new parking facilities, a revitalized park and a new headquarters for the Port of Long Beach; the Long Beach Civic Center & Port Headquarters Project is notable because it is the first PPP project procured by a municipality to reach financial close; the project recently received the Gold Award as the Best Social Infrastructure Project and the prestigious "project of projects" Grand Prix at the 2016 P3 Awards & Conference and was also recognized as the "North America Project Bonds Deal of the Year" at the 2016 IJGlobal Awards
- Representing Aldridge Electric, Inc., as the D&C contractor, and Aldridge Freeway Lighting, LLC, as an equity investor, in connection with a project in Michigan to design, build and finance improvements to existing freeway and tunnel lighting systems in the Detroit Metro Region and operate and maintain these lighting systems for a period of 15 years; the Metro Region Freeway Lighting P3 Project is the first freeway lighting PPP project in the US and the first PPP project in Michigan
- Representing the preferred bidder for an approximately $500 million project to design, build, finance, operate and maintain five new interconnected buildings critical to the criminal justice system of the City of Indianapolis, Indiana and Marion County, Indiana, including an adult detention center, community corrections facility, courthouse, juvenile justice center, sheriff's department and parking facilities
- Representing a North American infrastructure fund in the financing of its acquisition of a 49 percent cash equity interest in a 1.1 GW portfolio of eight operating wind farms in seven states
- Representing SouthGate Mobility Partners LLC, Kiewit Development Company and Kiewit Infrastructure South Co., in connection with the $850 million project to design, build, finance, operate and maintain approximately 14 miles of tolled managed lanes, general purpose lanes and associated facilities along SH 183 from SH 131 to I-35E in Dallas and Tarrant Counties
- Representing an international infrastructure fund in the financing of its acquisition of a district energy business operating in Chicago and Las Vegas with a total generating capacity of 750,000 pounds per hour of steam
- Representing Enova Energy Group, LLC and its project company, Plainfield Renewable Energy, LLC, in the development and $224.5 million project financing of a 37.5 MW (net) biomass-fired electricity generating facility to be located in Plainfield, Connecticut, which is expected to reach commercial operation by the end of 2013; the project was recognized by Project Finance magazine as its "North American Mezzanine Deal of the Year 2011" and by Power Finance & Risk as the runner-up for its 2011 "Best Renewables Deal"
- Representing Meridiam Infrastructure in connection with an approximately $495 million project to design, build, finance, operate and maintain a new approximately 535,000 sq. ft. court building and certain related facilities in Long Beach, California, including the refinancing of the initial project debt in the private placement market; the Long Beach Court Building project is the first social infrastructure PPP in the United States and the first non-transportation PPP in California and was recognized by PPP Bulletin as a finalist for its "Best Accommodation Project" and was "Highly Commended" at Partnerships Awards 2012, by The Bond Buyer as its 2011 "Deal of the Year" for "an innovative financing of a traditional public finance project that did not involve municipal securities," by Project Finance magazine as its "North American PPP Deal of the Year 2010" and by Infrastructure Journal as a finalist for its 2010 "Global PPP Deal of the Year;" the refinancing was recognized by Infrastructure Journal as a finalist for its 2013 "Deal of the Year - Social Infrastructure"
- Representing an oil storage company, which is a cooperative venture between private entities and the Government of Panama, in a $480 million refinancing and expansion financing to reverse the flow of the existing 131 km pipeline running across the Panamanian isthmus connecting the Atlantic Ocean and Pacific Ocean and the expansion of oil storage tank capacity on both ends of the pipeline; the transaction, the largest project financing ever in Central America, was recognized by Project Finance magazine as its "Latin American Refinancing Deal of the Year 2009"
- Representing the project company subsidiary of an electric cooperative in connection with a $600 million project financing of its 25% undivided interest in a 900 MW supercritical pulverized coal-fired power plant
- Representing a 695 MW coal-fired power plant in connection with the development, construction, equipping, and installation of an overhead coal conveyor system stretching approximately 4.5 miles that will transport coal from a mining operation in Pennsylvania to the power plant in West Virginia
- Serving as finance counsel to Merrill Lynch in connection with the issuance and sale of approximately $285 million of revenue bonds relating to a public-private partnership, as part of the Department of Defense's Military Housing Privatization Initiative, between the U.S. Air Force and a major real estate developer with respect to over 1,350 end-state housing units at Andrews AFB and MacDill AFB
- Representing the New York Mets in the financing of a state-of-the-art 45,000 seat baseball stadium; initial financing was recognized by The Bond Buyer as its 2006 public finance "Deal of the Year" for "technical prowess and structure"
- Massachusetts State Bar License
- New York State Bar License
Rankings and recognitions
- Law360, Rising Star: Project Finance, Portfolio Media, Inc., 2017
- New York Law Journal Rising Star, New York Law Journal, 2017
- Chambers USA, Nationwide, Projects: PPP, Chambers & Partners, 2014 - 2017
- Chambers Global, USA, Projects: PPP, Chambers & Partners, 2016 - 2017
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Project Finance, The Legal 500, 2014 - 2017
- Performance Based Buildings Coalition/InfraAmericas, Social Infrastructure Lawyer of the Year, 2016
- Law360, MVP of the Year: Project Finance, Portfolio Media, Inc., 2015
- New York Metro Rising Star, Banking Litigation, Thomson Reuters, 2011 - 2016
- Massachusetts Rising Star, Thomson Reuters, 2005 - 2006
- Contributing author, "Lexis Practice Advisor," LexisNexis, 2015
- Author, "Industry Insights - A Snapshot of the US Infrastructure Sector," Network, British American Business, Volume III, 2014
- Assistant Editor, Global Infrastructure, Volume VI, Winter 2012
- Co-author, "Brazil: The Development of its Sugarcane Ethanol Industry," 2010 International Energy Law Review, Issue 2
- Co-author, "The Growth of the Ethanol Industry in Brazil," Global Infrastructure, Volume IV, 2009
- Co-author, "A Survey of PPP Legislation Across the United States," Global Infrastructure, Volume I, 2008
- Moderator, "How P3s Are Taking America's Cities Into the Future," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum 2017, New York, New York, June 13-14, 2017
- Speaker, "Long-term Infrastructure Investors Association's Private Infrastructure Forum," Sydney, Australia, April 11, 2017
- Panelist, "P3 101: The When, Why and How," P3C 2017, Dallas, Texas, February 27-March 1, 2017
- Panelist, "Infrastructure America - Where Next?," International Project Finance Association, New York, New York, February 21, 2017
- Moderator, "Developments in P3s in the Airport Sector," American Bar Association, Forum on Air & Space Law, 2016 Aviation Financing Conference, New York, New York, December 8, 2016
- Moderator, "Water: Using P3s to Meet the US Supply Needs," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum 2016, New York, New York, June 15-16, 2016
- Moderator, "Developers'/Project Sponsors' Take on the California Infrastructure Market ," P3 Breakfast Club, Los Angeles, California, May 18, 2016
- Moderator, "Transit P3s," The Bond Buyer's Transportation Finance/P3 Conference, Denver, November 20, 2015
- Panelist, "Comparing P3 Models," P3s for Public Buildings, a National Council for Public-Private Partnerships and the Performance Based Buildings Coalition Summit, Washington, D.C., October 22, 2015
- Moderator, "Social Infrastructure: The New P3 Pipeline," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum 2015, New York, New York, June 9-10, 2015
- Moderator, "Alternative Financing in Infrastructure – The Rise of the New Infrastructure Investor," P3 Breakfast Club, New York, New York, May 6, 2015
- Panelist, "P3's & U.S. Social Infrastructure - an Emerging Market?," US P3 Infrastructure Finance Forum 2015, New York, New York, March 25, 2015
- Panelist, "Comparing P3 Models: Which is Best for Taxpayers?," P3s for Public Buildings, a National Council for Public-Private Partnerships and the Performance Based Buildings Coalition Summit, Miami, Florida, November 18, 2014
- Panelist, "Will High Speed Rail Funding and Implementation be Achieved?," The Bond Buyer's Transportation Finance/P3 Conference, Arlington, Virginia, November 17, 2014
- Panelist, "Public-Private Partnerships: What if we partner up?," American College of Investment Counsel 2014 Fall Meeting, New York, New York, October 16, 2014
- Panelist, "The Great Debate: Developer Lease/Hybrid Model versus 63-20 Corp. versus P3," National Council for Public-Private Partnerships inaugural P3 Connect, Denver, Colorado, July 28-30, 2014
- Moderator, "Emerging Sector Focus: Social Infrastructure," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum 2014, New York, New York, June 17-18, 2014
- Moderator, "Surface Transportation - Light Rail," International Project Finance Association, New York, New York, May 8, 2014
- Moderator, "Multilaterals/IFI's/ECA's and their role in Co-Funding Projects," International Project Finance Association's European Infrastructure Finance Forum 2014, London, England, April 3-4, 2014
- Panelist, "Getting the Model Right – A Close Look into the Long Beach Courthouse Delivery Arrangement," The Public-Private Partnership Alliance's 2014 Public-Private Partnership Conference, Dallas, Texas, February 23-25, 2014
- Moderator, "Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) Program," The Bond Buyer's Transportation Finance/P3 Conference, Chicago, Illinois, November 13-15, 2013
- Facilitator, "What Makes the East End Crossing Project a Path-Breaking Deal for the Market?," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum 2013, New York, New York, June 18-19, 2013
- Moderator, "Challenges of Funding Transportation in the U.S.," International Project Finance Association, New York, New York, June 6, 2013
- Panelist, "Public-Private Partnerships – a Global Perspective," ULI New York, in partnership with RICS, New York, New York, January 30, 2013
- Panel Chair, "Where are the alternative infrastructure opportunities in the US P3 market?," InfraAmericas US P3 Infrastructure Forum 2012, New York, New York, June 19-20, 2012
- Moderator, "Public-Private Partnerships and Asset Monetization: Past Success and Future Opportunities," International Project Finance Association: Future Leaders Network, New York, New York, October 13, 2011
- "An Introduction to Project Finance," Young Professionals in Energy International Summit, Las Vegas, Nevada, April 8 - 10, 2011
- Panelist, "New Frontiers in Social Infrastructure: The Long Beach Court Building Project and the Use of PPP Techniques," New York, New York, March 2, 2011
Memberships and activities
- International Project Finance Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
On August 22, 2016, the IRS released Rev. Proc. 2016-44. Rev....
August 31, 2016
Working in partnership with the Global Infrastructure Hub (GI Hub), we have produced a tool for governments and infrastructure providers to assist in building a global pipeline of viable public private partnership (PPP) projects..
July 25, 2016
Two partners from Norton Rose Fulbright, Brian Greene and Michael Pikiel, were named among Law360's Rising Stars in the area of project finance..
July 19, 2017
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has been named Asia Pacific Legal Advisor of the Year and has been awarded 16 Deal of the Year accolades by IJ Global at regional ceremonies held in Dubai, Singapore, New York and London, this month..
March 30, 2017