Kathy Krug has practised securities and corporate law for more than 15 years and brings to her practice an additional eight years of business management experience gained in the private and public sectors in Canada and Japan. She is one of the team leaders for our Japan/Canada business initiatives.
Ms. Krug advises a broad range of Canadian- and Japanese-owned companies involved in the energy and resources, technology, and oil and gas services sectors on matters involving the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) and TSX Venture Exchange rules and regulations, public and private offerings, corporate reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, takeover and issuer bids, going-private transactions, related-party transactions and stock-based compensation arrangements, and has provided leadership on complex international transactions. She also provides legal advice on matters pertaining to governance, executive compensation, business ethics and anti-corruption, and directors’ liability.
In addition, Ms. Krug has extensive experience in advising clients in the education law and not-for-profit and charity law sectors. She has acted for several high-profile public and professional bodies.
LL.B., University of Calgary, 1997
B.A., University of Regina
B.A., University of Saskatchewan
Ms. Krug has advised the following clients recently:
- A TSX-listed company regarding the structuring of an anti-corruption compliance program. Engagement involved working with the executive and board of directors to assess the company’s risk and to develop and implement appropriate internal control procedures and prepare board policy
- A private Japanese-owned oil and gas service company conducting business in Western Canada on corporate restructuring matters, product sales agreements, acquisitions and dispositions, corporate governance and compliance issues
- A TSX-listed company on the acquisition of a US-based software technology company
- The founder shareholders in an acquisition by a US investor group of a TSX-listed company
- A TSX Venture-listed company on various merger and acquisition matters
- A Canadian TSX Venture-listed oil and gas services company regarding securities laws and regulations, corporate governance matters, acquisitions, international engineering services contracts, regulatory matters and corporate governance
- A Japanese client on services agreements, warehousing and consignment arrangements and acquisition matters
- Numerous Canadian public companies with respect to private placements, public offerings, takeover and related party transactions, mergers and acquisitions, trust indentures, shareholder rights plans and security-based compensation plans
- Several significant Canadian not-for-profit corporations. Ongoing engagements involve providing advice with respect to their transition to the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act on corporate governance matters and on international contract negotiations
Rankings and recognitions
- Client Choice Awards, 2016 - General Corporate, Calgary
- Client Choice, USA & Canada 2014: Individual Winner for General Corporate, Calgary
- Jessup International Law Moot: Second Place International Championship Round, Washington, DC, 1997
- “Anti-Corruption and Anti-Bribery Compliance Issues,” presentation to the governance committee of a TSX-listed company, September 2013.
- Presentation to the Canadian Olympic Committee on the Transition to the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act, Quebec City, May 2013.
- “Investing in Canadian Resources: What Japanese Investors Need to Know” (jointly with Hon. Daniel Hays, Crae Garrett and Michael Joyce), Japan Institute for Overseas Investment, Tokyo, 2012.
- “New Executive Compensation Disclosure Requirements and the Impact on Corporate Governance Practices,” seminar, Calgary, Alberta, 2010.
- Speaker to public and private audiences on topics related to corporate governance.
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Alberta Bar Association
- Calgary Chamber of Commerce
- Director, Japanese-owned private oil and gas services company based in Calgary, Alberta
- Corporate secretary, Computer Modelling Group Ltd., a TSX-listed technology company providing services in the oil and gas services sector
- Chair, Southern Alberta Institute of Technology, Legal Assistant Program Advisory Board
- Chair, Arbour Lake School Council and Fundraising Society
- Former board member, Canadian Red Cross Society
Firstly, we are pleased to introduce Kathy Krug (Calgary, Canada) and Shane Bilardi (Melbourne, Australia), our new jointly appointed Global Food & Agribusiness co-leaders and co-editors of Cultivate..
January 16, 2017
Lawyers from eight of our worldwide offices were recipients of the 2016 Client Choice Award, as selected by the International Law Office (ILO) and Lexology..
February 19, 2016
On February 17, Client Choice distinguished four Norton Rose Fulbright partners as Canadian recipients of the 2016 awards. .
February 17, 2016