Ian Gosselin focuses primarily on infrastructure, engineering and construction law – areas in which he has extensive experience. He acts before courts and arbitration tribunals as both plaintiff and defence counsel for participants in the infrastructure, engineering and construction sectors. He also practises in the related areas of professional and manufacturer’s liability. In addition, he supports contracting authorities by, among other things, identifying the optimal method for carrying out their projects, including advising them on calls for tenders for service, procurement and construction contracts.
He has extensive experience in commercial litigation and is regularly involved in the defence of class actions, particularly in cases where groups of citizens allege environmental pollution and annoyances.
Mr. Gosselin also regularly acts in high-profile commercial disputes.
LL.B., Université Laval, 1991
Mr. Gosselin has represented the following clients:
- The Sept-Îles port authority in defence against a claim of over $50 million of additional costs by the general contractor for the construction of a deep-water port facility
- The port authority of Québec in defence against two class actions regarding an alleged dispersion of dust and contaminants in the neighbouring environment
- A leading cement manufacturer in defence against a second class action brought by citizens claiming they had not been by compensated under the terms of a Supreme Court ruling regarding a first class action
- Quebecor Media Inc. in negotiations with the City of Québec for the management and operation of a $400 million multipurpose arena to be built in the city and in legal proceedings taken by opponents of the project
- A specialized contractor carrying out civil works for wind power projects in its claim of over $30 million against the design-build contractor
- Major engineering firms in multiple disputes involving claims relating to infrastructure projects
- A public transportation authority in defence against claims by the general contractor in connection with the Métrobus centre construction project
- A private owner operating a supermarket in defence against an action by the owner of the neighbouring property requiring that the building be demolished after its height was increased
- Steel fabrication and erection subcontractors in litigation for amounts ranging from $500,000 to $5 million for extra costs incurred on institutional and private projects
- A major Quebec engineering firm that was a member of a consortium responsible for the construction of a biomass cogeneration plant in a $40 million arbitration of multiple claims
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2006-2017: Construction Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012-2017: Corporate and Commercial Litigation; Director and Officer Liability Practice
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012-2017: recommended in Construction Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2013-2017: recommended in Litigation - Corporate Commercial
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2014-2017: recommended in Litigation - Product Liability
- Best Lawyers in Canada – Lawyer of the Year 2010, 2014: Construction Law, Quebec City
- Lexpert /The American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2008
- Martindale-Hubbell — BV Peer Review Rating
- “Analyser, évaluer, interpréter et gérer les risques avant, pendant et après la formation de vos contrats de construction,” The Canadian Institute, advanced conference on claims and dispute management in the construction industry, Montreal, April 24, 2013.
- “L’élaboration de votre code d'éthique : la mise en œuvre de vos valeurs et de vos propriétés,” 16th annual conference of the Corporation des entrepreneurs généraux du Québec (CEGQ), February 21, 2013, Quebec City.
- “Développer un code d’éthique au sein de votre organisation, son contenu, son essence et ses avantages,” The Canadian Institute, Montreal, April 25, 2012.
- “Ce que vous devez savoir quant aux pénalités pour retard en matière de construction,” 15th annual conference of the CEGQ, Quebec City, February 2, 2012.
- “Des obligations fondamentales des intervenants de la construction, de leur responsabilité au cas d’un manquement à celles-ci et des modalités de la mise en œuvre des réclamations afférentes,” presentation of the master’s in construction law courses given at Laval University, Quebec City, November 28 and 30, 2011.
- “Revue des obligations légales et contractuelles du professionnel visé aux contrats normalisés de l’industrie de la construction,” 14th annual conference of the CEGQ, Montebello, Quebec City, February 18, 2011.
- “Rôle et responsabilités de l’ingénieur sur un chantier de construction,” 67th conference of the Association des constructeurs de routes et grands travaux du Québec (ACRGTQ), Quebec City, January 20, 2011.
- “L’arbitrage : Rompre avec les vieilles habitudes pour rendre le processus pleinement efficace, rapide et moins coûteux,” Canadian Bar Association, Montreal, November 25, 2010.
- “Des obligations fondamentales des intervenants de la construction, de leur responsabilité au cas de manquement à celles-ci et des modalités de mise en œuvre des réclamations afférentes,” SNC-Lavalin, Montreal, April 30, 2010, and October 29, 2010.
“Des obligations fondamentales des intervenants de la construction, de leur responsabilité au cas de manquement à celles-ci et des modalités de mise en œuvre des réclamations afférentes – partie I : Revue des obligations liant les propriétaires et les entrepreneurs généraux,” Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, April 19, 2010.
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Past counsellor, Board of the Junior Bar Association of Québec
- Fellow, Canadian College of Construction Lawyers (2009 -)
The Supreme Court of Canada recently rendered a decision of interest to parties engaging in, or contemplating, mediation of a dispute..
May 23, 2014
The Court of Appeal for Ontario recently clarified the circumstances in which courts will pierce the corporate veil to find a director personally liable. .
March 06, 2014