Maria is an insurance litigation lawyer based in Johannesburg. She is the Head of the Financial Institutions: insurance industry sector at the firm and specialises in insurance law and contractual and delictual disputes.
Her disputes practice has included litigation involving professional, delictual and contractual issues in multiple jurisdictions in Africa as well as in the United Kingdom.
Her insurance practice focuses mainly on issues relating to property , assets and liability insurance, including commercial and agricultural fire insurance, all risks cover, professional indemnity insurance, public liability, product liability, business interruption and personal injury.
She has represented major role players in the local and international insurance markets (including international indemnity organisations), the security industry and the medical and dental professions.
She has extensive experience advising insurers, brokers, and insurance intermediaries on coverage issues, and on contractual and delictual liability disputes.
She has published a number of articles and topics within her fields of interest and has presented a number of talks to the insurance industry, medical and dental professions as well as the security industry. In addition to being a regular speaker at our South African practice’s insurance and medical law conferences, Maria regularly provides client training on a number of topics, and has given presentations for the Law Society on Medical Malpractice topics. Maria has also appeared on Garry Hertzberg’s programme Laws of Life on Cliff Central.com.
She has been listed by Who’s Who Legal, 2016 as an expert in insurance and reinsurance.
She holds a BCom and a LLB degree from the University of the Witwatersrand and was admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa in 1996. She is also a member of the Law Society of the Northern Province, Kwa-Zulu Natal and Cape Provinces.
She is on the firm’s Supervisory Board as well as on the Promotions and Remuneration Committees.
Maria has experience in the following matters:
- Advising a major health services company of the product liability and recall laws in 8 African jurisdictions and comparing those legal regimes with that in South Africa.
- Defending liability actions and instituting recovery actions in several African jurisdictions on behalf of a major security company.
- Advising various major South African insurers in relation to coverage issues in a variety of policy wordings, including issues relating to material non-disclosures and misrepresentations, notification clauses, and fraud.
- Representing major insurers in actions against them by their insureds relating to fire claims, and successfully defending such actions on the basis of fraud, material non-disclosures and misrepresentations.
- Advising and representing major insurers in a variety of liability and recovery actions.
- Advising medical professionals (and their indemnity organisations or insurers) on regulatory and compliance issues including complaints laid against them before the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) and representing medical professionals at Professional Conduct Inquiries before the HPCSA.
- Representing medical professionals and hospitals in medical malpractice actions against them.
- Advising and representing South African medical professionals in medical malpractice actions instituted against them overseas.
- Representing major South African and international security organisations on commercial and contractual disputes as well as liability claims against them and on regulatory issues.
The following papers were presented at the Syncom Business Intelligence Conference on 21 and 22 October 2010 held in Sandton. .
October 21, 2010
Maria Philippides comments on the gathering of policyholder information by insurance companies..
November 05, 2016