The use of technology in insurance related transactions and processes, or InsurTech, is having a transformative effect on both the retail and commercial sectors of the insurance industry, making insurance law and regulation especially relevant in this rapidly changing market.
Nicholas Berry is a corporate and regulatory insurance lawyer based in London. He is ranked as a next generation lawyer by Legal 500 (2017).
Nicholas joined Norton Rose Fulbright in 2006. He advises on corporate and regulatory issues for clients in the global insurance sector. His experience includes mergers and acquisitions, insurance linked securities, capital raising, restructurings, portfolio transfers and joint ventures, including in the Lloyd's and life insurance sectors. He is also a leading member of our InsurTech practice.
Nicholas is a regular speaker at industry events on InsurTech and the use of technology in the insurance sector, including at the Insurance Law Forum (a Thomson Reuters' Practical Law conference) and the FCA's InsurTech conference. He is also a regular contributor to publications such as Insurance Day on insurance related matters, including the UK government's proposals to make London a global ILS centre and InsurTech.
Nicholas acts for clients such as: Prudential plc (where he has also spent six months on secondment), AXA, Swiss Re, XL Catlin, Zurich, QBE, Friends Life, HSBC, Aquiline Capital Partners and AIG.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- The InsurTech Conference - London, September 22, 2017: Nico presented on 'The role of the regulator in the InsurTech revolution'
- Association of Chinese Insurance Professionals - London, September 4, 2017: Nico addressed the Association of Chinese Insurance Professionals at the UK Autumn Gathering on the topic of InsurTech
- Lloyd's Market Association BILA U35 - London, July 27, 2017: Nico participated in an InsurTech Panel Discussion
- Insurance Law Forum (A Thomson Reuters' Practical Law conference), March 23, 2017: Nico presented on "Bringing FinTech innovation and blockchain technology to the insurance market"
- The FCA's InsurTech conference, March 28-29, 2017: Nico presented on "The Future of smart contracts in insurance"
- Fintech in the Insurance sector, Thomson Reuters' Insurance Law Forum, June 9, 2016: Nico spoke at Thomson Reuter's recent Practical Law panel discussion as part of their annual Insurance Forum on the use of FinTech in the insurance sector
Exploring innovative technology and ideas in insurance.
November 3-5, 2017
Background to new ILS regime.
September 05, 2017
Our global blockchain team has published a global legal and regulatory guide titled ‘Unlocking the blockchain’..
April 06, 2017
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has today announced 45 promotions worldwide, including 41 partners and four promotions to the South African equivalent of director..
April 27, 2017
As a sector, the insurance industry is particularly well placed to benefit from distributed ledger technology and applications enabled by it, such as smart contracts.
April 25, 2017