Foreign Legal Consultant
David Johnson is a corporate and securities lawyer based in Hong Kong.
David’s practice involves a variety of capital markets, corporate and finance transactions. David represents corporate and sovereign issuers, underwriters and trustees in debt, equity and equity linked capital markets transactions and in other corporate transactions, including tender and exchange offers, reorganizations, acquisitions and privatizations. David also advises clients on corporate governance and U.S. Securities law compliance matters.
David began his career in 1990 in New York and has been based in Asia since 1994 during which time he has advised on transactions involving clients located in fourteen countries across the Asia-Pacific region. He has particular experience in the financial services, infrastructure, energy and transport sectors.
- JD, New York University School Of Law, 1990
- LLB, University of the West Indies, 1986
- Attorney at Law, admitted in New York
Rankings and recognitions
- David is recognised as a leading lawyer in Chambers Global 2014 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2015 and 2014, the IFLR 1000 2017, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 and the Legal Media Group's Expert Guides to the World's Leading Lawyers (Capital Markets).
- Noted about him "Norton Rose Fulbright's David Johnson has extensive and broad capital markets experience, including DCM transactions throughout Asia. He advised ICBC Financial Leasing on a refinancing connected to two LNG vessels, which involved a $200m bond offering." (Capital markets (Debt): Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2017)
- "Trends in capital markets financing for the shipping industry", November 2016 (co-authored with Grace Lo)
- "Indian companies: Hong Kong Stock Exchange welcomes listings from India", December 2015
- "Managing directors' conflicts" at Hong Kong Corporate Governance: a practical guide, May 2014 (co-authored with Virginia Tam and Samuel Ngo)
- "Raising Equity & Bond Capital for Shipping in the Global Capital Markets", Capital Link Forum, May 2016, Shanghai
- "SRI: financing a sustainable future", IFLR Asia Capital Markets Forum 2015, October 2015, Hong Kong
- "Financing Private Equity Acquisitions: Latest Developments in a Rapidly Evolving Market", Financing the Growth of Philippine Companies – 2nd Annual Investment Conference", March 2015, Philippines
Memberships and activities
- The Association of the Bar, City of New York
Capital markets financings have gained traction with the shipping industry in recent years..
November 01, 2016
Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in India has grown significantly following the implementation of recent Government of India (GOI) initiatives, including the GOI’s high-profile “Make in India” campaign and the continuing liberalisation of the FDI regime across a wide range of sectors..
August 15, 2016
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has advised Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank PJSC, Citigroup, CIMB, Dubai Islamic Bank PJSC and HSBC, acting as joint lead managers and joint bookrunners, in the world’s first sovereign green Sukuk issuance..
March 13, 2018
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has advised the underwriters, led by joint lead managers and joint bookrunners ANZ, Citigroup, Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs and Mandiri Securities, on a multi-billion dollar three-tranche bond issuance by the Republic of Indonesia (the “Republic”)..
December 14, 2017