Sheela Moorthy is a corporate partner based in Singapore. She is admitted in both Singapore and England & Wales. She has over 25 years of experience in corporate and commercial transactions with particular expertise in cross border transactions in Asia involving mergers and acquisitions, securities, information technology and in the hospitality and leisure industry, dealing where applicable on related real estate issues arising in the respect of the same.
Representing clients in a variety of industries including mass media, information technology, telecommunications, building materials and chemicals, some of whom are within the top ten Fortune companies, Sheela has worked on substantial matters in Singapore, Philippines, Korea, India, Thailand, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Vietnam, China and Australia.
Sheela is recognised as a leading lawyer for Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions for International Firms in Singapore by Chambers Asia Pacific (2013, 2014 and 2015 editions) and also received notable mentions for Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions for International Firms in Singapore in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 editions). She is described as being "very hard-working", an "excellent negotiator" and "offers creative and workable solutions and is able to bridge the gap with the counterparty in every difficult situation. In addition, she is recognised as being "well respected for her work in M&A and joint ventures" by Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 and 2015.
- Advised BNP Paribas on its acquisition of Prime Fund Services (PFS) from Credit Suisse. PFS is a provider of fund administration, custody and banking services for alternative investment managers and employs staff in Europe, Asia and the United States
- Advising a French listed specialty chemicals manufacturer listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and the Paris Stock Exchange, in a multi-jurisdictional transaction involving the divestment of its specialty phosphates division in Asia Pacific valued at US$100 million
- Acting for a French conglomerate in the acquisition of a listed Korean conglomerate achieving a US$1 billion market share which acquisition included the acquisition of all interests in and to real estate interests in 26 cement manufacturing and processing plants throughout Korea
- Advised Caisse de Depot et Placement de Quebec, Kuwait Investment Authority and State General Reserve Fund of Oman in a US$850 million investment platform with Tata Power and ICICI Venture for investments into thermal and hydro power assets in India. This involved the creation of a bespoke platform to facilitate investment in power projects in India in the coming two to three years.
- Advised Caisse de Depot et Placement de Quebec in relation to its potential investment into one of the leading producers of solar power in India.
- Advised the Cognita group (owned by Bregal Capital and KKR) on a £340m refinancing and high yield bonds which consists of an issuance of £280m high yield bonds listed on the Euro-MTF market of the Luxembourg Stock Exchange and a £60m super senior revolving credit facility
- Advising BP plc on the Singapore law aspects of its acquisition from Rosneft of a 20 per cent stake in Limited Liability Company Taas-Yuryakh Neftegazodobycha, creating a new upstream oil and gas joint venture in East Siberia
- Acted for EnerSys Inc., a NYSE listed reserve energy company, in its acquisition of a portfolio of reserve energy companies in Malaysia and Singapore and related restructuring
- Acted for EnerSys Inc., in its acquisition of a portfolio of companies in Australia in a related industry
- Advised Pearson Affordable Learning Fund, an investment arm of global education corporation Pearson in a funding round in Indonesian online learning platform provider, HarukaEdu led by PALF and Samator Education, alongside repeat investor CyberAgent Ventures. PALF invests in entrepreneurs who are improving education outcomes for low-income learners in the developing world, including South Africa, Ghana, India, and the Philippines
- Advised Abacus Holdings, a consortium of 11 Asian airlines, on the Singapore law aspects of its disposal of a 65% stake in Abacus International Pte Ltd (Abacus) to its joint venture partner Sabre Corporation, valuing Abacus at US$740 million
- Advising Abax Global Capital (HK) Ltd on a US$50 million facility agreement to Hyalroute Communication Group Ltd for the roll out of certain telecommunications infrastructure and networks in Cambodia and Myanmar
- Advised the Cognita Group in its acquisition of prominent international school in Vietnam, Singapore and Thailand including a US$200million greenfield investment in Singapore
- Advised (as part of a wider team in 46 countries) Bayer AG on the global divestiture of its Diabetes Care Business to Panasonic Healthcare Holdings. The global closing occurred in January 2016, and the country-level closings are occurring throughout 2016
- Drafting, advising and finalising a share purchase agreement, loan facility agreement, stock pledge agreement and a shareholders' agreement involving an Ooredoo Group affiliated limited company established in Singapore
- Advised National Australia Bank Limited on the transfer of a US$ 150 million loan portfolio to Hong Leong Bank Limited
- Advised Lloyds Bank Plc on the transfer of its trade banking facilities from Hong Kong to Singapore and the establishment and activation of its trade banking activities in Singapore including with regard to regulatory governance and compliance matters
- Advised CNQC International Holdings Limited on the Singapore law aspects of its HK$2.6 billion acquisition of CNQC (South Pacific) and its subsidiaries from Guotsing Holding (South Pacific) Investment Pte Ltd, a controlling shareholder of CNQC International
- Advised Cohu, Inc. in connection with its US$54.5 million acquisition of Ismeca Semconductor Holding SA involving the indirect acquisition of its Malaysian subsidiary
- Advised ICL, a multinational fertilizer and specialty chemicals company with the Malaysian aspects of its US$270 million multi-jurisdiction purchase of the Global Professional business of The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company
- Advised Publicis Groupe Holdings B.V., France's largest advertising company, in respect of its acquisition of Malaysian-based digital agency Arachnid Sdn. Bhd.
- Acted for a French listed specialty chemicals company in respect of a US$60 million partnership with a European company in respect of its distribution and agency arrangements in Asia spanning nine Asia Pacific jurisdictions including Australia, Malaysia, Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines and India
- Acting for a French listed specialty chemicals company divestment of Asia latex business of a French specialty chemicals company as part of a global EUR39 million sale, involving key entities in China, Australia, New Zealand and Thailand including real estate interests in manufacturing and reprocessing commercial plants in the abovementioned jurisdictions
- Acting for a French listed specialty chemicals manufacturer in the restructuring of their surfactants manufacturing plant and operations in Thailand, including their related real estate interests
- Advised the Antalis Group of companies on the restructuring of their operations in Malaysia and Singapore and the acquisition and integration of joint venture interests in these jurisdictions
- Acted for Moody's Corporation in its tax restructuring in Asia as part of a global tax restructuring exercise in respect of its analytics and rating business.
- Advised Verizon Communications in the divestment of its interest in TelecomAsia Corporation Public Company Limited, a company listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand, for approximately US$40 million
- Advised Hilton Hotels International in the renegotiation and restructuring of its franchising arrangements with respect to hotels in China
- Advised International Rectifier Inc in its corporate regional matters including tax structuring, transfer pricing analysis, distribution and supplier contracts in Asia
- Acting for ING Asia Private Bank Ltd in the establishment of fund participation arrangements in the British Virgin Islands in the real estate and technology industries
- Advising Stora Enso Oyj, an integrated paper, packaging and forest products company listed in Helsinki, Stockholm and New York, and other substantial shareholders in the collective sale of their respective shareholding in Advance Agro Public Company Limited, a company listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand, for approximately US$110 million
- Advocate & Solicitor (Supreme Court of Singapore, practising under section 36E of the Legal Profession Act)
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Speaker: US-ASEAN Business Council: Presentation on the US – Singapore Free Trade Agreement and Effect on Competition Regime.
- Speaker: Vietnam – A New Investment Outlook (held together with the Vietnam Embassy in Singapore, the Peoples' Committee of Quang Nai Province, Chu Lai Administration Authority and the Ministry of Planning and Investment, Vietnam.
- Speaker: Asia Legal Business In-House Legal Summit, Mumbai, India – Investment Abroad – Opening Pandora's Box.
- Speaker: In-House Legal Summit Singapore – Corporate Governance – An Introspective.
- Advisory: India – Changes to Joint Venture Restrictions.
The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) is the integrated regulator and supervisor of financial institutions in Singapore, including banks, insurers, capital marke.
November 24, 2014
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright is one of a number of law firms advising CHAMP Private Equity on the A$1 billion sale of Accolade Wines to Carlyle Group..
April 10, 2018
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has advised MICRODYN-NADIR, the water treatment business unit of global filtration leader MANN+HUMMEL on the acquisition of OLTREMARE, a leading European manufacturer of spiral-wound membrane elements..
February 13, 2018