Our private client practice assists high net worth individuals, family offices, closely held businesses and private banks with the complex legal challenges arising from changing tax and property laws and increased regulation. As a global law firm with more than 50 offices worldwide, we are uniquely placed to provide clients with extensive geographical reach and knowledge of tax regimes spanning multiple jurisdictions.
Wealthy families and their advisers require sophisticated legal services across multiple disciplines. Our experience encompasses the full range of issues, including tax planning and controversies, corporate and business law, mergers and acquisitions, estate planning, estate and trust administration, business succession planning, charitable giving and fiduciary litigation. We also provide advice to financial institutions in their capacities as trustees, executors, custodians and investment managers.
Our areas of work include
- business representation
- citizenship and domiciliation
- corporate formations and restructurings
- domestic and international tax advice
- employment and labour
- estate planning (including drafting of wills and trusts)
- estate, gift and transfer taxation
- family disputes
- FATCA compliance
- international tax advice
- life insurance planning
- offshore accounts
- offshore trusts
- pre-immigration planning
- private trust company formation
- real estate investment
- tax controversies, audits and reporting obligations
- tax treaties
- trust and estate litigation.
Our recent experience
- Advising on the acquisition, shipping, insurance, ownership, loan, consignment and disposition of fine art and cultural antiquities.
- Advising on the creation of charitable trusts, private foundations and other non-profit organizations.
- Preparing wills, trusts and related instruments under applicable local laws to transfer assets during lifetime or at death.
- Representing executors in probating wills and administering estates.
- Representing trustees and beneficiaries on trust administration matters.
- Managing and resolving complex business and family issues related to closely held business assets.
- Advising on the structuring, formation and staffing of family investment entities and applicable regulatory issues, including exemptions from SEC registration.
- Advising on the application of FATCA to trusts, estates, trustees and beneficiaries.
- Representing corporate and individual trustees in litigation, arbitration and mediation concerning fiduciary duties, contested probate proceedings, trust accountings, ownership of assets and interpretation of wills and trusts agreements.
- Devising estate plans to minimize gift, estate, inheritance and generation-skipping transfer taxes.