We work in all areas of global commercial taxation and advise on transactions spanning a wide range of industries and jurisdictions. We are also experienced in handling disputes arising from tax-related issues.
We operate across Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, and Africa, and advise on a domestic, pan-regional and global basis, on the tax issues which may arise in the different jurisdictions in which our clients do business.
We provide a full service for all corporate, finance and property transactions, reinforced by our strong sector focus; differentiating us from other global tax groups. Our clients include major corporates, banks and other financial institutions. We also advise a wide range of domestic and international real estate clients, together with key players in the retail and investment industry sectors, and entrepreneurs. In a number of our offices we also advise on private wealth related tax issues.
We are familiar with current structuring techniques and can apply our experience in one type of transaction to find solutions in another. We are realistic about what is likely to be acceptable to local fiscal authorities, and understand that in certain transactions tax issues might take a back seat to other commercial objectives.
Our areas of work include
- asset finance
- capital markets and financial instruments
- corporate finance
- international tax
- transfer pricing
- investment funds
- Islamic finance
- mergers and acquisitions
- real estate
- tax dispute resolution
- tax exempt finance
- tax planning
- tax policy matters
- trusts and estates.
Our recent work
- Advising US communications company, Allbritton, on the US$985m sale of stock of its holding company, Perpetual Corporation, as well as its equity interest of ABC-affiliate station Charleston Television, LLC, to Sinclair Broadcast Group. The transaction includes eight television stations, most notably Washington D.C.’s WJLA-TV.
- Advising BP Plc on the sale of its LPG bottle and tank filling business in the UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, South Africa, Poland, Turkey, Austria and China.
- Advising Delta Airlines on its £360m acquisition of a 49 per cent stake in Virgin Atlantic Airlines from Singapore Airlines.
- Advising Petronas on its US$5.5bn acquisition of Progress Energy Resources Corp, a Canadian gas and explorate company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
- Advising Lloyds Banking Group on the disposal of its European rail operating lease business to Macquarie.
- Advising Innate Pharma, a biopharmaceutical company which develops drugs targeting the innate immune system, on its €33.7m IPO on the Eurolist market in Paris.
- Advising Barclays on the combination of its African operations with Absa Group.
- Advising the joint venture purchasers on the £340m+ purchase of Battersea Power Station.
- Advising Daiichi Sankyo on the acquisition of U3 Pharma AG, a German biotechnology company focusing on research into antibodies to treat cancer.
- Advising RWE, Germany's second largest utility, on its €7.3bn acquisition of Essent, a Dutch energy generator and supplier, and on integration and restructuring activities in the Netherlands.