International sanctions regimes are complex and often respond to volatile political landscapes. Our global sanctions and export controls lawyers are well-positioned to help clients adapt to these fast-evolving domestic, regional and international frameworks.
The new reality of cooperation between international regulators in different jurisdictions requires businesses to adopt a coordinated, global approach. Failure to comply with sanctions regimes in one jurisdiction can result in the imposition of significant civil and criminal sanctions, including draconian fines and even imprisonment for individuals.
Our global capabilities in sanctions and controls law mean that we can offer companies, financial institutions and senior executives a ‘one-stop’ global service covering multi-jurisdictional trade controls and sanctions regimes (including UN, US, EU, Australian, Canadian and UK) as well as embargoes and export controls, counter-measures and anti-boycott regulations.
Our lawyers advise clients on specific transactions, assisting them in designing and implementing global compliance programs, helping them obtain licenses and permits, managing relationships with regulators, defending enforcement actions and handling related civil and criminal litigation.
Our areas of work include
- Anti-boycott regulations
- Classification requests
- Business ethics and anti-corruption
- Commodity jurisdiction requests
- Compliance policies and procedures
- Export and trade of ‘dual use’ goods, software and technology
- Export and trade of military, defence and aerospace goods, services and technical data
- Export license applications
- Economic sanctions and embargo regulations
- Pre - and post - acquisition due diligence
- Government investigations and enforcement
- Internal audits and investigations
- Transportation and shipping
- Voluntary self-disclosure.
- We are advising a European-headquartered global financial institution in connection with economic sanctions issues arising out of recent developments in Russia and Ukraine, including the application of sanctions to complex financial instruments and the potential exposure of multiple operations of the business in the UK and multiple jurisdictions in Europe.
- We are representing and defending a major international energy services company in a multi-jurisdictional and cross-border investigation concerning alleged corruption and breaches of international sanctions and export control compliance, and involving multiple regulators.
- We are advising on the application of US and EU sanctions against Myanmar in relation to a proposed joint venture between a multinational operator of logistics assets and a Myanmar company.
- We are providing EU sanctions advice to a Korean shipping company with regard to the impact on their financing arrangements of the acquisition of vessels transporting crude oil from Iran.
- We are advising the subsidiary of a major international defense contractor in significant multi-jurisdictional investigations leading to significant criminal and civil proceedings in the US and UK in relation to trade control and sanctions issues