We were the first global legal practice to develop a dedicated health care practice group over 30 years ago. Our global healthcare team acts for numerous clients in the healthcare sector, including hospitals and health systems, academic medical centers, retail pharmacies and wholesale distributors, physician groups and health insurers.
We advise these clients on labour and employment matters, commercial transactions, private and tax-exempt financings, insurance coverage and reimbursement, medical liability claims, health care fraud and abuse issues, and construction of healthcare facilities.
- Industry knowledge and experience; a number of our health care lawyers, paralegals and research assistants join us after careers in the health care industry and also maintain their professional relationships and credentials.
- An industry-centered approach that combines the experience of our health care industry lawyers with lawyers in other disciplines to provide advice across a full range of litigation, transaction and regulatory issues.
Our areas of work include
- antitrust and competition
- class actions
- corporate restructurings
- equity and debt offerings
- governmental investigations
- intellectual property
- joint ventures
- labour and employment
- mergers and acquisitions
- private equity
- public finance
- projects and construction
- real estate
- tax (federal and state)
- US and foreign trade laws.
We act for
- academic medical centers
- ancillary services providers, such as ambulatory surgery centers and dialysis centers
- durable medical equipment suppliers
- health maintenance organizations and other managed care entities
- home health care companies
- health industry trade associations
- lenders, investors and underwriters involved in health industry transactions
- long-term leases
- manufacturers of medical devices and technology
- medical research institutes
- non-profit, proprietary and governmental health care systems
- pharmaceutical manufacturers
- physicians, physician groups and specialty provider associations
- practice management companies
- retail pharmacies and wholesale distributors
- specialty hospitals.
Our recent work
- Advising a specialist US diabetes centre on the provision of its expertise to a UAE company for the purpose of establishing a number of specialist centres throughout the UAE.
- Advising a consortium of investors on the acquisition of a portfolio of 12 UK private hospitals from Spire Healthcare Group. Spire is the second largest private hospital provider in the UK and runs hospitals across the country.
- Advising design and construct contractors, Leighton Contractors and Hansen Yuncken JV, on the New Royal Adelaide Hospital public-private partnership project. This project constituted the single largest infrastructure project ever undertaken by the South Australian Government and will result in the construction of Australia's most advanced health care facility.
- Acting for the Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne, in an important patent entitlement dispute in the Australian Patent Office against a senior scientist employed by the hospital.
- Advising on the sale of a Texas healthcare system.
- Advising a US healthcare system on the formation of an Accountable Care Organization (“ACO”).