The strength of our financial restructuring and insolvency practice lies in our multidisciplinary and international breadth. Based throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia, our financial restructuring and insolvency lawyers handle the most complex and sensitive local and cross-border assignments across the globe.
We have represented major interests in some of the world’s most high profile bankruptcy and workout cases, including US Trustee of Lehman Brothers Inc., the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, the Royal Bank of Canada, Japan Airlines, Nortel Networks JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Export Import Bank of China and Citibank. Acting for multi-jurisdictional, large-scale clients such as these means we are involved in the some of the most high value and significant matters in this sector.
Our global team delivers enhanced financial restructuring and insolvency services to our clients wherever they are based.
Our areas of work include
- complex loan restructurings
- committee representations
- pre-packaged, pre-negotiated and traditional plans
- bankruptcy and insolvency litigation
- valuation and solvency proceedings
- municipal bankruptcy and insolvency
- debtor-in-possession and exit financings
- executory contracts, leases, intellectual property licenses, and forward, swap and trading contracts
- international bankruptcy and insolvency cases, international insolvency arbitration, and cross border recognition proceedings
- sale and purchase of distressed assets
- sale and purchase of distressed debt and portfolio sales
- lender liability disputes.
Our recent work
- Acting for a Coordinating Committee of Banks on the US$2.5bn financial restructuring of Danaos Corporation, a leading international owner of containerships.
- Acting for the US Trustee of Lehman Brothers Inc in Europe and the Far East, including on the agreement in principle for the settlement of US$38bn of claims with the Joint Administrators of Lehman Brothers International (Europe).
- Advising the administrators on at least AU$120m that has been dissipated through a series of opaque structures into hedge funds in numerous offshore locations.