Our global product liability lawyers provide legal advice to an international roster of clients facing product liability issues, product recalls and related crisis management matters.
“There is clearly a good balance between legal and technical knowledge in the team. They understand our position whilst also being really aware of the commercial aspects.” Chambers UK, 2017
Whether the strategy calls for proactive risk management, the vigorous defense of claims or a negotiated settlement, we provide sound advice and creative solutions to clients throughout the supply chain, including advice designed to help minimize legal costs and the risk of reputational damage. As part of our 24/7 incident support service, our global team is always available to provide immediate advice and assistance in the event of a product safety or product liability incident. Our “one-stop shop” means we can manage and coordinate a global response through our network of offices and specialist teams.
As the number and complexity of proceedings is increasing across the world, clients need a legal team that can combine solid legal experience with deep knowledge of sectors in which such claims arise, such as life sciences and healthcare (including pharmaceuticals and medical devices) , energy, transport (including automotive, aerospace and recreational vehicles), construction and engineering, consumer products, retail, food and beverage and manufacturing. Our global product liability lawyers have extensive experience providing legal advice across these sectors.
Many product liability issues can turn into class actions or multi-district litigation spanning several states, regions or countries. Our global team is skilled at seamlessly handling cross-border actions and is equally experienced in defending individual product liability lawsuits, having acted as both local and coordinating counsel. We also represent manufacturers as plaintiffs, particularly relating to products they purchase for use in their own businesses.
Our areas of work include
- Administrative and regulatory representation
- Adverse event reporting, including consumer notices and reports to government and regulatory authorities
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Class actions
- Cross-border actions
- Defense of claims
- Dispute resolution and litigation
- Distribution and indemnity agreements
- Food safety and hygiene
- Insurance coverage
- Labelling and regulatory requirements
- Liaising with relevant regulators
- Multi-district litigation (MDLs)
- Occupational health and safety
- Preventative counseling
- Product liability audits
- Product manuals
- Product recalls, including procedures and obligations
- Product testing
- Risk management
- Settlement program strategy and management
- Warranty terms
Awards and accolades
- Best Law Firms, Tier 1 national rankings for US Product liability litigation – defendants, US News & World Report and Best Lawyers, 2017
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Leading firm: Litigation – product liability (Montréal), Thomson Reuters Canada, 2016
- Chambers USA, Nationwide: Product Liability & Mass Torts, Chambers & Partners, 2016