Our private equity practice covers each stage of the fund lifecycle, including fund formation and structuring, investments into funds, buy-outs, public-to-private transactions, portfolio management including ‘buy and build’ strategies, growth capital investments and exits by way of sale, recapitalisation or IPO.
We act for a broad client base including global equity investors, management teams, targets, financial advisers and senior and mezzanine debt arrangers, giving us a holistic view of investment risks and exit strategies across all sides of a matter.
- A thorough knowledge of global regulatory frameworks affecting the private equity sector.
- Experience gained through longstanding relationships with the private equity industry, domestically and across the globe.
- A track record advising on complex and high value deals.
- Genuine sector focus and a global footprint.
Our areas of work include
- all aspects of fund formation
- investment advice
- exit strategy
- IPO advice.
Our recent experience
- Advising The Carlyle Group on its joint acquisition with Investec Asset Management of approximately 50% of J&J Africa, a pan-African logistics company. The investment is the second investment by Carlyle’s Sub-Saharan Africa Fund and places an enterprise value of approximately US$176 million on J&J Africa.
- Advising London-based Roofoods Ltd., doing business as Deliveroo, on the Series A and B investments by Index Ventures and Accel.
- Advising Vega Energy Partners, Ltd. in the investment by Tudor Pickering & Holt (private equity fund) of US$55 million in a Vega subsidiary formed to hold an equity investment in the US$500 million development project to construct, own, and operate the Stonewall Gas Gathering System, a natural gas gathering system in West Virginia.
- Advising the AU$200+ million buyout of Australian education provider Modern Star Group by Malaysian private equity fund Navis Capital Partners.
- Advised global private equity firm Rhône Capital on the bid for S&B Industrial Minerals SA S&B is listed on the Athens Stock Exchange, and is a global industrial minerals producer, with more than 26 separate mines and 46 plants and processing facilities worldwide.
- Advising STAR Capital Partners on the €235million sale to CAE Inc, a Toronto Stock Exchange and New York Stock Exchange listed company, of Oxford Aviation Academy Luxembourg S.à.r.l. (OAA). OAA is an industry leading provider of aviation training and aircraft pilot and maintenance crew outsourcing services to airlines and leasing companies.
- Acting for Cirque du Soleil, the Canadian based iconic entertainment company, in its sale to TPG Capita LP for an undisclosed amount.
- Advising Development Partners International, AfricInvest Capital Partners, FMO, PROPARCO and DEG on the auction sale of listed Nigerian insurer, Mansard Insurance Plc. The highly competitive auction was won by Axa Plc for a consideration of €193m, making the deal one of the most successful private equity exits in Africa to date.
- Advising AnaCap Financial Partners on its successful buyout of AssurOne Group, a leading French digital insurance broker specialising in the online distribution and management of personal insurance products, including motor and home policies.
- Advising Paladin Capital on its Series B investment into CertiVox Limited.
- Advising Norwegian development finance institution, Norfund, and private equity fund, Norfinance AS, on their acquisition of a 12 per cent interest in leading Kenyan bank, Equity Bank, from Helios Investment Partners.
- Advising Costamare Partners LP with the formation of a joint venture with funds managed by York Capital Management Advisors LLC. The joint venture will invest up to US$500m in equity to buy container vessels. This is one of the biggest private equity investments in shipping to date.
- Advising Absa Bank and Barclays Africa Group on the disposal of a 73.37 per cent interest in Absa Capital Private Equity Fund, and a 100 per cent shareholding in Absa Capital Private Equity Pty Ltd. This was the largest transaction concluded in South Africa’s secondary market.
- Advising Sierra Oil & Gas S. de RL de CV, Mexico’s first independent exploration and production company, in a secured private equity commitment of US$52.5m with an option to double it to US$1.05bn.