We provide the world’s largest corporations and financial institutions with advice on domestic and cross-border M&A in the public and private sphere, ranging from multibillion-dollar international and national transactions to smaller domestic M&A.
“A broad offering encompassing Asia-Pacific, Europe, Canada and the USA. Wins praise for its Africa practice and is also active in the Middle East.” Chambers Global, 2015
Our lawyers are positioned in leading business and financial markets across Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
This enables us to coordinate cross-border teams to deliver seamless, high-quality advice to clients worldwide.
- High-quality, strategic transactional advice for entities of all sizes and complexities around the world.
- Extensive experience in both public and private M&A.
- An international network of corporate finance professionals.
- An in-depth understanding of complex structuring, restructuring and tax issues.
- Strong merger control and antitrust teams based around the world.
- Expert knowledge of employee transfer and employee benefits issues worldwide.
- Sophisticated due diligence analysis including anti-corruption, IP, environmental, cybersecurity and regulatory.
- One-stop, multi-jurisdictional coverage through 55 offices.
Our areas of work include
- mergers (public and private)
- change of control events
- purchase and sale of assets and businesses
- joint ventures
- tender offers and exchange offers
- going private transactions
- proxy contests
- friendly and hostile takeover bids and defensive mandates.
Our recent experience
- Advising Orange SA on the £12.5bn sale of EE Limited, the UK mobile telephone operator currently jointly owned by Orange and Deutsche Telekom, to BT Group plc.
- We advised a Macquarie-led consortium on its AU$2 billion acquisition of the Crown Castle Australia mobile telecommunications tower business from its US parent company in 2015. Crown Castle is the largest independent owner of mobile telecom towers in Australia.
- Acting for Talisman Energy Inc. on its C$16.5 billion acquisition by Spanish based Repsol S.A.
- Advised Sacturino Limited on its $9 billion cash offer for Polyus Gold International, the largest gold producer in Russia.
- Advised Yamana Gold Inc on its joint acquisition with Agnico Eagle Mines Ltd of Osisko Mining Corporation by way of a scheme of arrangement for C$3.9bn. Yamana and Agnico Eagle each will form joint committees to operate the Canadian Malartic Mine in Québec.
- VHA Inc., a national health care network, in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of University HealthSystem Consortium, an alliance of leading academic medical centers, for an undisclosed amount.
- Advising Reckitt Benckiser on its cross-border acquisition of a US-based global pharmaceuticals and consumer healthcare products company’s brand.
- Advised Exxaro Resources Limited on its US$472m acquisition of Total Coal South Africa (Pty) Ltd from Total SA, a transaction considered one of the biggest in South African mining in 2014. Our team advised on all South African law aspects of the transaction, providing integrated advice across six practice areas – corporate, mining (regulatory), tax, competition, environmental and employment.
- Advised Ecopetrol, Colombia’s state-owned, largest integrated oil company, and Talisman Energy on their US$2bn acquisition of BP’s Colombian subsidiary BP Exploration Company (Colombia). The investment in BP’s oil, gas and pipeline business is one of the largest in Colombia’s petroleum sector.
- Advised First Gulf Bank PJSC on a US$164m acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Dubai First PJSC, a leading consumer finance company specializing in liability and credit card products. This is First Gulf Bank’s first major acquisition.
- Advised Abacus Holdings, a consortium of 11 Asian airlines, on its disposal of a 65% stake in Abacus International Pte Ltd to its joint venture partner Sabre Corporation, valuing Abacus at US$740 million.
- Acting for Crescent Point Energy in its $1.5 billion acquisition of Legacy Oil & Gas Inc.