The asset and wealth management industry is facing a period of substantial upheaval. The volatile global economic outlook poses a number of challenges, and when combined with the raft of new regulatory initiatives and ever-increasing pressure on margins, asset managers are being forced to take radical measures to survive, adapt and grow.
“Gets the deal over the line with the minimum fuss and maximum efficiency.” Investment funds – The Legal 500 UK, 2015
By combining our industry experience with in-depth legal knowledge of our global teams, we help our clients navigate the regulatory challenges to emerge in a position of strength.
Our global asset and wealth management team advises on every aspect of the industry, from fund formations to mergers and acquisitions. With lawyers on-the-ground throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia, we are always on hand, no matter where the issues or opportunities arise.
We act on some of the most high-profile cross-border deals in the market, working closely with many of the leading global asset and wealth managers as well as banks and service providers to the sector.
- Experience advising many of the leading global asset management businesses as well as banks and service providers to the sector.
- Close involvement with regulators across Europe, the United States, Canada, Asia, Australia, Africa and the Middle East.
- Particular strength in specialist and alternative funds and asset classes.
- Direct experience of working within regulators and trade bodies.
Our areas of work include
- investment fund formation and fundraising
- M&A, transactions and outsourcing
- private client
- structured products and derivatives
- disputes and investigations
- employment and incentives
Our recent experience
- Advising The Renewables Infrastructure Group Limited, established to invest in onshore wind and solar energy assets, on its £300m IPO and subsequent secondary issue.
- Advising Bank of Montreal on the regulatory and commercial aspects of its entry into the Australian asset management and financial services market.
- Advising long-standing client F&C Asset Management on a recommended £708m cash acquisition by BMO Global Asset Management (Europe) Ltd.
- Advising Canaccord Genuity and Numis Securities, as joint sponsors and joint bookrunners, on the £150m IPO of advisory and investment solutions business River and Mercantile Group PLC.
- Advising CACEIS on its takeover of Sal. Oppenheimʼs asset depositary activities for real estate and other assets in Germany. All funds involved, valued at €12bn, will be migrated to CACEIS.
- Advising SCB Asset Management Company Ltd as acting fund manager on the establishment of TICON Industrial Growth Leasehold Property Fund, the domestic and international public offering by the fund of 555 million investment units, and the acquisition of 56 factories and warehouses, freehold and leasehold, in various locations near Bangkok, attracting investment of approximately US$200m.
- Advising Citibank on the issue of mini-bonds by renewable energy company Antin Solar Investments SpA, the first transaction of this kind in Italy. The company, wholly owned by Antin Infrastructure Partners, will use the funds raised to refinance investments in the solar sector.
- Advising Royal Bank of Canada’s wealth division on the acquisition of Couttsʼ Latin American, Caribbean and African private banking business. This was an important growth economy transaction involving corporate, employment, tax and regulatory advice.
- Advising one of the largest funds in the US on its strategic alliance with a major Australian property group to pursue an acquisition of prime assets in Australia valued at A$770m.
Awards and accolades
Tier 1: Investment Funds: Closed-ended Listed Funds
UK-wide, Chambers and Partners, 2015