We advise on the full range of corporate, mergers and acquisitions, and securities matters. We are strategically positioned in the world’s leading business and financial markets, enabling us to handle and fully coordinate highly complex domestic, cross-border and multi-jurisdictional transactions.
Our clients range from the world’s largest corporations and financial institutions to middle market and emerging companies, in a broad range of industries including our key industry sectors: energy; financial institutions; infrastructure, mining and commodities; technology and innovation; transport; and life sciences and healthcare.
We have extensive international coverage across Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia, providing a truly global service to our clients.
Our areas of work include
- mergers (public and private)
- change of control events
- purchases and sales of assets and businesses
- purchases and sales of securities
- joint ventures
- tender offers and exchange offers
- going private transactions
- proxy contests
- tender offers.
Private equity/investment funds
- buyouts, acquisitions, investments, recapitalisations, divestitures, and other monetization events
- fund formation and governance
- asset and investment management
- funds of funds
- general partners/sponsors, investors/limited partners and portfolio companies.
- equity capital markets
- initial public offerings
- international offerings
- private placements
- rule 144A and regulation S offerings
- secondary offerings (including rights offerings)
- securities law and exchange compliance
- securities regulation and enforcement.
General corporate and commercial
Our corporate advisory team delivers advice on all corporate advisory and corporate governance related matters. Our team works closely with your business, including your in-house legal and company secretarial teams, to provide a tailored service across the full range of corporate advisory and commercial issues.
- commercial contracts
- corporate governance and directors’ responsibilities
- corporate regulations and restructurings
- data privacy
- sourcing and technology.
Our recent work
- Advised Barclays on the combination of the majority of its African operations with Absa Group. The proposed transaction will be effected by way of an acquisition by Absa Group of Barclays Africa Limited for 129,540,636 Absa Group shares, representing a value of ZAR18.3bn (approximately £1.3bn). As a result of the transaction, Barclays’ stake in Absa Group will increase from 55.5 per cent to 62.3 per cent.
- Advised ArcelorMittal on its US$1.1bn agreement to sell a 15% interest in ArcelorMittal Mines Canada to an Asian-led consortium and on related off-take, infrastructure and joint-venture agreements.
- Advised Allied Gold Mining Plc on its £360m recommended takeover by St Barbara Limited. Allied Gold became a wholly owned subsidiary of St. Barbara, with current St Barbara shareholders owning 67% and Allied Gold shareholders owning 33%, of the new group. This created a global mining company worth over AUS$1bn.
- Advised ValueAct Capital® on its proposed joint offer with CVC Capital Partners Limited for Misys Plc, a leading application software and services provider, with a market capitalisation of £1.1bn. ValueAct Capital® was the largest shareholder in Misys Plc.
- Advised ING Groep NV in the C$3.1bn sale of ING Direct Canada to The Bank of Nova Scotia, the largest banking sector M&A in Canada in more than a decade.
- Advised BP Plc on the sale of its LPG bottle and tank filling businesses in the UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, South Africa, Poland, China, Turkey and Austria and its non-refinery integrated wholesale business. The sale involves all of BP's remaining LPG bottle and tank filling operations. BP is the last of the oil supermajors to dispose of its LPG bottling operations after Shell disposed of its remaining operations in 2011.
- Advised Clear Channel Communications, Inc. on its US$1.2bn divestiture of its US television division (56 television stations).
- Advised Starwood European Real Estate Finance Limited on the proposed IPO of its new European debt fund, Starwood European Real Estate Finance Limited. The new investment company raised £350m and was admitted to the premium listing segment of the Official List and to trade on the London Stock Exchange’s main market.
- Advised National Oilwell Varco, Inc. on its US$2.5bn acquisition of Robbins & Myers, Inc.
- Advised Royal Bank of Canada in registering a €23bn global covered bond programme under the new Canadian covered bond legislation, and on the equivalent of approximately US$9.5bn worth of benchmark international covered bond deals, including in becoming the first issuer to have a covered bond registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Advised the Government of South Africa (National Treasury) (as issuer) and the underwriters on the issue by South Africa of US$1.5bn 4.665% notes due 2024, listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange.
- Advised Ecolab Inc. in its US$2.16bn acquisition for a mixture of cash and common stock of Permian Mud Service, Inc., the parent company of Champion Technologies, Inc. and its related company, Corsicana Technologies, Inc.
- Advised Magnum Hunter Resources Corporation in its US$401m of cash and Penn Virginia stock sale of Eagle Ford Hunter, LLC to a subsidiary of Penn Virginia Corporation.