Our project finance practice offers in-depth knowledge across a range of industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare. We regularly play a key role in major financings and work closely with our clients to deliver advice on all aspects of a transaction.
“They deal with intricate issues quickly with clear strategy and execution, and with the ability to organise cross-border resources and provide well co-ordinated services.” Chambers and Partners Projects & Energy – Global-wide 2015
We have worldwide experience of local and cross-border financings throughout Africa, Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and the United States. Our client base represents a broad cross-section of lenders, sponsors, developers, institutional investors, contractors and operators. Our comprehensive understanding of the issues that affect clients around the world enables us to offer solutions to manage risk and ensure projects reaches a timely and cost-effective financial close.
- Extensive knowledge of project finance structures around the world.
- Optimal risk transfer and mitigation tools.
- A track record of innovation in debt and equity financing.
Our areas of work include
- equipment financing
- infrastructure financing
- LNG projects
- mining project financing
- oil and gas facilities
- renewable power project financing
- social infrastructure financing
- structured financing
- telecoms financing
- thermal power project financing
- transportation financing.
Our recent experience
- Advising the lender consortium on the £745m Aberdeen West Peripheral Highway PFI road project in Scotland, the largest and most complex combined debt (both commercial and EIB) and bond financing to have taken place in the UK in recent years.
- Advising the Moroccan Agency for Solar Energy on the development and financing of the NOORo II and NOORo III concentrating solar power projects. These are the first in a series of large-scale solar projects planned in Morocco.
- Advising the Zimbabwe Power Company, Zimbabwe’s generating and transmission parastatal, on the combined project financing for 600 MW Hwange Thermal Power Expansion Project and the 300 MW Kariba Hydro Power Extension Project and associated transmission system upgrades.
- Advising the lenders, development finance institutions and export credit agencies on the US$1.6bn project financing of Lekki Port, a new greenfield port in the Lagos free trade zone in Nigeria.
- Advising an international bank in connection with the financing of a US$612m project for the design and construction of seven civilian and military hospitals in Ghana.
- Advising a consortium of lenders on the financing of a portfolio of 12 gas-fired cogeneration projects in Thailand. This was the largest energy portfolio financing carried out in Thailand.
- Advising the financiers to the successful ALTRAC Light Rail Consortium in relation to the US$1.5bn Sydney Light Rail PPP project.
- Advising the mandated lead arrangers in relation to the financing of the US$1bn Gahcho Kue diamond mine in Canada.
- Advising the successful bidding consortium on the Indiana consolidated justice facility project in Marion County in the United States.
Awards & accolades
- Tier 1 Projects & Energy: Oil & Gas – Global-wide – Chambers and Partners Global 2015
- Tier 1 Projects & Energy: Mining & Minerals – Global-wide – Chambers and Partners Global 2015
- Project Finance Firm of the Year, 2015, The Legal 500 US Awards
- Projects, Energy & Natural resources - Firm of the year 2014
- Who’s who legal - Mining firm of the year 2011-2014