For over 30 years, Norton Rose Fulbright’s global Islamic finance practice has delivered pioneering advice on Islamic finance transactions for Islamic financial institutions, conventional banks and corporates.
Our Islamic finance lawyers have a wealth of knowledge across a range of Shariah-compliant structures, including market-leading experience in Sukuk transactions, Murabaha, Istisna’a, Ijara and Musharakah financings and Takaful deals.
In addition to our transactional experience, we regularly advise clients on Shariah governance matters, including the establishment of Shariah supervisory boards, and provide advice to governments worldwide on legislation concerning Islamic finance products.
- A track record on Islamic finance transactions spanning more than 30 years.
- Experience spread across key Islamic finance centres including Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
- In-depth knowledge of Shariah-compliant mandates, including Sukuk, Murabaha, Istisna’a, Ijara, Musharakah and Takaful transactions.
Our areas of work include
- asset finance
- banking and liquidity
- corporate finance
- insolvency and restructuring
- investment funds
- project finance
- real estate
- Shariah governance
- structured finance
Our recent experience
- Advising Emirates on the issuance of US$913m Sukuk certificates guaranteed by UK Export Finance for the purchase of Airbus aircraft. This deal marked the first-ever Sukuk for an ECA-backed deal and the first time UK Export Finance guaranteed a Sukuk.
- Advising the government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region on its US$1bn inaugural Sukuk under the government’s bond program.
- Advising Al Jaber Group on its debt restructuring, involving the restructuring and rescheduling of approximately US$4.5bn of conventional and Islamic debt facilities provided by local and international banks.
- Advising Goldman Sachs in relation to the issuance of of a debut benchmark US$500m Sukuk, which was the first issuance of a Sukuk by a US financial institution.
- Best law firm – Banking, Islamic Finance News Awards 2015
- Asia deal of the year – US$1bn Hong Kong Sukuk, Islamic Finance News Awards 2014
- Pakistan deal of the year – US$1bn Pakistan Sukuk, Islamic Finance News Awards 2014
- Best Islamic real estate deal of the year – Park Crescent West, Euromoney Islamic Finance Awards 2014
- ‘It’s one of the oldest Islamic finance firms out here and has strength in depth.’ Islamic finance – Middle East-wide, Chambers and Partners, 2015
- ‘Norton Rose Fulbright is “a leading firm in the structuring of any type of Islamic finance”.’ Islamic finance – Tier 1, The Legal 500 UK, 2014