Business caught up in potential anti-competitive conduct must make decisions that take into account the risk of both broader enforcement action by multiple authorities and the risk of follow-on damages claims in any number of jurisdictions. These decisions, including whether to self-report violations to secure immunity from prosecution or to stand fast and defend a case, must be made quickly.
Our global cartel investigations team has considerable experience of these investigations from a truly global perspective. We understand not only the approach that local authorities take to cases but also the manner in which they coordinate investigations into multijurisdictional conduct. We can advise on investigations throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia and Africa. You receive the benefit of our acknowledged experience in antitrust and competition, business ethics and anti-corruption, disputes and litigation and employment law to guide you through the maze of international anti-cartel legislation.
Our areas of work include
- compliance procedures and training
- intrusive cartel investigations and dawn raids
- criminal investigations and leniency regimes
- employment law
- private litigation.
- We are advising a large financial institution in relation to the European Commission’s ongoing competition investigation of alleged manipulation of EURIBOR (Euro Interbank Offered Rates).
- We advised a large investment bank in connection with the Canadian Competition Bureau’s investigation of alleged manipulation of Yen LIBOR.
- We advised a major Australian financial services client in their response to an ACCC cartel investigation occurring in Singapore and Australia in connection with the manipulation of foreign exchange benchmarks in a foreign exchange market estimated to turn over US$5.3 trillion a day.
- We are advising Shell in US-based proceedings concerning allegations that various companies fixed natural gas prices.
- We successfully obtained corporate leniency for Bridgestone in relation to a price-fixing complaint by the South African Competition Commission against the South African tyre manufacturers.
- We are advising Japan-based companies in Australia, Asia, Canada and the EU in a global cartel and bid-rigging investigation on the supply and sale of motor vehicle components, including preparing and negotiating leniency applications and defending follow-on class actions.