We are a global legal practice – and, in antitrust and competition law, global coverage matters.
For international M&A deals, joint ventures and strategic alliances, global coverage allows us to offer a ‘one-stop’ legal service for all antitrust aspects, including merger filings and clearances in multiple jurisdictions worldwide. A global platform is essential to manage competition litigation and claims and to provide support in international investigations into cartels and anticompetitive practices. It enables effective compliance strategies to minimise antitrust risk across a global business. And, at a national level, it means that our lawyers can provide deep local knowledge of markets, laws, regulators and practice.
We can provide commercial solutions that will withstand scrutiny in all major antitrust or competition law jurisdictions. Our lawyers are qualified in the competition laws of many jurisdictions and practise before courts and competition authorities across the world. Wherever our clients are located, our advice draws on the depth and breadth of this international experience.
Our areas of work include
- cartel investigations
- compliance and risk management
- criminal investigations – anti-competitive conduct
- disputes and litigation
- distribution and agency
- economic regulation – liberalisation, licensing, network access, price control
- international trade law
- IP and technology licences – antitrust compliance
- market investigations and studies
- merger control
- pricing strategies
- public procurement
- state aid.
Our recent experience
- Representing Asda in its appeal against the Office of Fair Trading’s decision in the UK tobacco pricing case – achieving an order that the adverse decision and £14m fine be quashed.
- Defended an international logistics firm in a US class action against freight forwarders alleging worldwide conspiracy to fix prices on freight forwarding services.
- Advising PwC on the UK Competition Commission sector inquiry into audit services.
- Defending a title insurer and its affiliates in 75 related antitrust class actions filed across the US alleging conspiracy to fix premiums, which resulted in multiple dismissals.
- Advising Delta Air Lines on merger control and other regulatory issues in EU in respect of its joint venture with Virgin Atlantic Limited.
- Defending an insurer in multi-district litigation in the US brought against insurance brokers and insurers regarding alleged conspiracy on the use of contingent commissions.
- Acting or Life Technologies Corporation in respect of global merger filings arising from the US$13.6bn acquisition by Thermo Fisher Scientific.
- Representing a hospital group in class action in US brought by nurses claiming conspiracy to depress wages in violation of Sherman Act.
- Obtaining US merger clearances for acquisitions and dispositions of numerous for-profit and non-profit healthcare systems, including current representation of parties to a merger that will create one of the largest non-profit healthcare systems in the United States.
- Representing FLS Plast A/S in its appeal against the European Commission's Article 101 decision in relation to the “Industrial bags” cartel.
- Defending an energy company in antitrust litigation by group of cities claiming a conspiracy to increase natural gas prices in the US; summary judgment granted in favour of all defendants.
- Obtaining US merger clearance for multiple acquisitions by a major energy pipeline company.
- Advising the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) on the merger clearance action sought by APA Group in its AU$800m hostile bid for the Epic Pipeline business of Hastings Diversified Fundson.
- Advising Japan Airlines International Co Ltd on negotiating a key price fixing settlement with the ACCC for AU$5.5m in the air cargo cartel proceedings.
- Defending a hospital group in jury trial in Texas brought by another hospital accusing the defendant of organising a boycott by major managed care companies; the verdict was in favour of our client.
- Obtaining US merger clearance for multiple acquisitions and dispositions by a major building products company.
- Advising Westco Group Inc on its decision to cease doing business with Nadeau Poultry with the leave of the Competition Tribunal and the Canadian Federal Court of Appeal.
- Representing a multi-national cement company in DOJ criminal investigation in the US for price fixing.
- Obtaining US merger clearance for the US$600m acquisition of power generation assets by a major international power company.
- Defending an energy company in multi-district litigation class actions over allegations about natural gas market manipulation in California.
- Defending an energy company in a DOJ criminal investigation in the US for alleged bid rigging on auctions for federal mineral rights.
- Representing certain Japan-based companies in Australia, Asia, Canada and the European Union in the global cartel and bid-rigging investigation on the supply and sale of certain motor vehicle components, including the preparation and negotiation of leniency applications and the defense of follow-on class actions.
Awards and accolades
- GCR “Global Elite” Top 20 2014, 2015, 2016
- Competition/Regulatory team of the year, The Lawyer Awards, 2012
- Chambers USA (Texas) (Band One for Antitrust), 2012
- Leading Canadian firm, Global Competition Review, 2011