Significant cybersecurity incidents are intensifying and evolving. What are director and officer (D&O) duties to prevent, prepare for and respond to data breaches?
Directors and officers are facing a sophisticated, organized and motivated adversary in cyber attackers, who are untethered by law, ethics or fear of capture and who are supported by a "dark web" of economic infrastructure. Gone are the days where boards of directors only had to mind what competition was doing to their operations. In the wake of these cyber incidents, the role of the C-suite and board of directors in managing cyber risks has come to the forefront.
Join us for an engaging discussion on the threats posed by cyber attackers these days; the responsibilities of the C-suite and board of directors in preventing, preparing for and responding to cyber risks; and recent cases that have tried to hold directors liable when cyber events occur.
Topics will include:
- Obligations of and duties owed by directors and officers
- Data breaches and D&O duties – cybersecurity best practices
- The Yahoo-Verizon deal – difficulties of past data breaches
- D&O litigation following a data breach
- SEC cyber disclosure requirements
- Ability of cyber and D&O insurance to respond to these risks