Life sciences and healthcare
Our global life sciences and healthcare team advises a range of innovative pharmaceutical, medical device and biotechnology companies as well as investors in the sector. We provide cutting-edge advice on the full range of legal issues that arise in the sector, from regulatory and compliance strategy through to patent litigation and corporate transactions.
In a period of global uncertainty, the sector faces a raft of legal and commercial hurdles that can affect the ability of many companies to do business in the industry. From the consequences of the patent cliff through to increased scrutiny by local regulatory authorities worldwide, our experienced lawyers effectively guide the world’s leading life sciences and healthcare corporations in navigating this difficult landscape.
Our healthcare team acts for numerous clients in the healthcare sector, including hospitals and health systems, academic medical centres, retail pharmacies and wholesale distributors, physician groups and health insurers.
We handle both domestic and cross-border matters throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa and the Middle East, offering an integrated service to our life sciences and healthcare clients across the globe.
- Professional legal and scientific knowledge. Many of our professionals have scientific and technology backgrounds which are invaluable in providing advice which addresses the complex science and technology at the heart of many deals and disputes.
- Deep industry knowledge and practical understanding.
- Support at all stages of the product lifecycle from innovation to funding, product development, exploitation, surveillance and enforcement.
- Guidance on the regulatory and legal framework in the sector.
- Dispute mediation lawyers with experience in product liability.
- Leading experience in patent litigation; having prevailed in a number of the largest and most complex pharmaceutical patent lawsuits.
- Capability to advise clients on antitrust and competition issues around the globe.
- Experience of significant worldwide corporate and commercial transactions acting for pharmaceutical companies, biotechs and VCs, including capital markets, M&A and licensing transactions.
- Broad experience in government investigations and grand jury proceedings.
- Extensive coverage in emerging markets including over 800 lawyers in Asia Pacific.
Our areas of work include
- patent and other IP litigation
- product liability
- IP strategies
- fund raising and investment
- antitrust and litigation
- regulatory and compliance
- labour and employment
- government investigations
- projects and financing.